Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spring In Bloom



Today was such a beautiful day!! Temps in the 80's with the most wonderful warm breeze! Spring is definitely in the air and we're seeing evidence of it in all of the flowers and trees too. We decided to take a walk today and enjoy it before doing some planting in the gardens. I am finally getting around to planting a rose garden this year. But more about that in a minute. First, would you just look at these beautiful Bradford Pear trees?? They're blooming all along both sides of our street so this is the view out our front door - gorgeous!!!



This is the view looking down the street
same street, just a close-up picture. I always look forward to the trees' beautiful show in the Spring as well as their magnificent color burst in the Fall.


Anyway, back to the garden. I had shrubs and plants in there that were getting a bit out of control - especially the Vinca. They have beautiful purple flowers but to tell the truth, they're just taking over and choking everything else out. So...out they came today. After lots of digging and pulling, digging and pulling, the roses finally went in. Poor hubby was removing roots as big around as my leg! Even the kids were getting into it. We planted "Pink Peace" roses. They're a wonderfully fragrant hybrid tea rose and as the name implies, they're a deep pink color. Can't wait 'till those babies start blooming - Mmmmm!!!

I also have some pretty pink Peonies to plant, however, I couldn't quite decide where to put them, so I'm holding off for a couple of days.


So after all of the garden work, I spent some quiet time in the library picking up a few books that had arrived from the BIG library in town. One of which is Sandra Evertson's book, "Fanciful Paper Projects" Great book by the way!! I'm sure a lot of you have already read it but I'm a little slow - LOL! I also tried to get "The French Inspired Home" by Kaari Meng. I have "French Inspired Jewelry" and I adore that one so I can't wait to read this one! Can you believe our library doesn't have it?


So then I decided to make some cookies for dessert because the ole' sweet tooth started speaking. We grilled hamburgers outside this evening and had a nice cookout so the cookies were a delicious finish!
Okay, so I might go and eat one right now but only after I make a cup of tea first. Then, I have some catching up to do on my Tivo'd (ha ha, that's what I call it) Martha Stewart Crafts on DIY Network. Oh my gosh, I think I have like 15 episodes recorded now so I have GOT to catch up. Not all in one night of course!


Okay, I shall return tomorrow with some new and fabulous flea market finds that I plan on fixing up this week. Maybe even tomorrow if time permits - we'll see. I'll post a few sneek peak pictures!


Have a happy evening everyone out there in blogland and until tomorrow...


xo, Erin

12 comments:

Kristi said...

The tress are beautiful, indeed! The Bradford Pears here have already bloomed and gearing up for summer here. They were pretty while they lasted.
:)

~Kristi

Cami said...

What a view!!! Autumn is my favorite time of year so I am envisioning it all in golds and reds! Hope you have a productive Sunday. I'm checking back!

j said...

You have been a busy blogger! I hop over and find that you have all these posts for me to read. YEA!

The blooming tree lined street is gorgeous. And boy do those cookies look good!!

Have a great week.

Jennifer

bj said...

oooo, what beautiful trees. You are blessed to have this lovely view!
bj

Anonymous said...

Erin, your cookies look divine. I might be knocking at your door soon.

I love pear trees in bloom. Our just finished blooming, and now they are covered in those lovely fresh green leaves.

I can't wait to see your new finds.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear your putting in a rose garden. Will you have a bench?

Keke

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Oh my gosh, I love your blog. The street looks so perfect it looks almost unreal! Beautiful! I'm off to check out more of your blog and website.

Kathi said...

The trees are amazing and so are the cookies. Also, you found some great things at the market. Enjoy your day, Kathi

Sherry said...

Lovely looking spring shots and I love these cookies...can I have one, please?!?

Hope you enjoyed Sandra's book -- it's one of my favourites!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Lovely, lovely pics and music. I enjoyed my stop by your blog.
Cathy

Suzanne said...

I love Bradford pear trees. I've never seen so many lined up like that. How beautiful and dramatic.

Oh gosh, those cookies are making me hungry. I'm off to bake a batch of sugar cookies!

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Building a new home said...

“Spring is nature's way of saying, The dry seasons in life do not last. The spring rains will come again.”