Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy Sunday...


Hello...I do hope everyone had a fabulous Valentine's Day. I know we did!! I feel bad though for my oldest - the school nurse called me because the poor dear got sick at school and I had to go and pick him up. He was sick on Valentine's Day!! He wasn't feeling well the next day either so I kept him at home and he missed his Valentine party at school (they had the classroom parties on Friday) I felt so bad for him. Saturday, he was finally feeling much better so we all went out to breakfast. And what do you think happened after we ate?? Yep...you guessed it, he got sick again! We just can't seem to get rid of this virus that is going around!! They have all had it. As the day went on though yesterday, he got much better and finally today, he's back to his old self again - YEAH!!!


Anyway...blogging went on hold while everyone was getting better so I didn't get to post any of my recent projects that I had been working on. I thought I'd catch up this morning!


So here's the first project

It's an old bench that I have had for awhile now but I didn't care for the color very much. I had been debating whether to paint it white or black - I just couldn't decide. I love two styles of decorating and I kind of have them both incorporated into our home. One is, of course, Shabby Chic/cottagey and the other is more of a French Country look. Color wise, polar opposites but I do love both styles. Anyway, I decided to go with the black since it's in my foyer and front hallway. Shabby Chic doesn't hit you until you step into the family room off the kitchen. I made a little heart shaped pillow of sorts out of some red checked fabric I had and then attached a red ribbon for hanging as well as a vintage chandelier crystal that my mom gave me. I also made a pillow for the bench out of some red and white toile fabric.

Here is the after picture of the completed bench

Then, I have this adorable garden statue out in my flower garden that my dad gave me several years ago. It's been outside since he gave it to me but I recently noticed that he has a little crack in his shoulder. I just love this statue though so I decided to bring him indoors out of the cold, fix him up, and give him a makeover!

I put him on this pretty little pedestal that I had and I'm quite happy with his new look - I think he is too! He looks right at home atop his perch standing guard over the newly painted bench!
I must admit though, I say a little prayer each day that one of my boys doesn't knock him over as they go running by!


So, as decorating goes, it's never really finished is it? I couldn't stop there so I changed the little vignette on the foyer entry table! I made a little topiary in an old cement urn that I had and placed it on the table with a couple of mirrors (one of them I painted black...hmmm...is black my new pink??? I think not - LOL) Anyway, then I added a black and white checked ribbon around a GIANT glass candle holder and tied it up in a pretty bow with an old key. As a final touch, I added a couple of paper roses that I made. So there you go - a new look for the entry foyer!

Here is a close up of my paper rose.


Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!



7 comments:

Nan said...

Your bench looks fabulous in black. I also enjoyed looking at your 2007 projects.
Hugs,
Nan

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

I'm glad you painted the bench black and I love the way your boy with the bird turned out!

Wouldn't you like to join me in a Pay-it-Forward giveaway?

Justabeachkat said...

Wow...you've been a busy bee! It all looks wonderful.

Hugs!
Kat

Adrienne said...

Your bench turned out great. It looks wonderful with the pillow. And I love the way the statue turned out. It's perfect there! Thanks for sharing. I'll be back soon to see what you have to show us. ~Adrienne~

Kathi said...

I love the new look. The little boy is adorable. You'v got great taste. Blessings~~ Kathi

Cindy said...

I love shabby chic and french country too! I love the way your bench and your little statue turned out. I'm always amazed at what a little paint can do!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Perfect! Love the black on it! Your home is a thing of beauty!!